Monday, May 25, 2009

Pre-departure thoughts

Gah. Two weeks(ish) until Japan. I think it's just starting to hit me now that I'll actually be there for two months, so I've been kinda freaking out about it. I kinda suck at the language already, so I think I might just crash and burn when I get there. Plus there's so much stuff about etiquette that I don't know at all and I really don't want to mortally offend my host family or anything... so "Gah" pretty aptly sums up my feelings about it right now.
Despite worrying, I'm still excited to go - even if I suck at Japanese, getting to go/see places should be fun. I mean, how many other times will I get to travel to such a cool place with full funding? It's a great opportunity. Plus, some people I know are going to Japan (Soyoon, Tommy, and Juliana from my college, Morse). Thanh's also doing HIF and we both kinda suck, so we'll probably be in the same level of instruction.
Oh, yeah - I got my gift for my host family today ("omiyage"). It was such an annoying task to complete - I didn't want to be too typical and get them some Yale gear, but I didn't want to get something inappropriate. I mean, Maruyama sensei said that we should get stuff that's tough to get within Japan. I ended up getting them something from India (a decorative good luck plate)... hope it's OK.
But yeah, that's about it for now. More to follow when I start packing and actually planning for this trip.

1 comment:

  1. You spelled "international" wrong in your title, bum. Also, I hate you. I do not either suck at Japanese, you jerk.

    ReplyDelete